Dear Birchwood Families and Students,
Mr. Gilmore and I, hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer. We also hope you are relaxed, recharged and ready to start a new school year. We are so delighted that you are part of our amazing learning community. We welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education, and we look forward to working with you and your children.
On behalf of our entire staff, let us welcome you to the 2017-2018 school year. We all look forward to new beginnings with our students and parents.
We recognize middle school can signal feelings of both excitement and trepidation, and we thank you for entrusting your children to the Birchwood staff. We do not take lightly our responsibility in ensuring your children experience a highly-engaging educational experience in a safe and nurturing environment, and we are thrilled to partner with our families as they embark on the next leg in their children’s academic journey.
We want for every student to have a successful start. To make this possible, we have planned some events to welcome students and families as we start on this journey.
· August 28 (6-7:30) 6th Grade Ice Cream Social
· August 30 First day of school (K-9)
· September 15 (2:30-4:30) 6th Grade Dance
· September 22 Camp Meehan Field Day
· September 23 (9-3) Middle School Band Car Wash
· September 25-29 September School Spirit Week
· September 26 (6-7:30) Open House for grades 7 and 8
Please continue to check the Birchwood Middle School website; http://npsd.k12.ri.us/birchwood/ for additional information about our school. Details about events, sports information, and facts about our school can be found there. Further, we send a weekly Monday Memo via skyward/e-mail, providing timely information about upcoming events. We also have a great Twitter feed (@birchwoodms) that provides a glimpse into our excellent learning environment.
We ask that all of our students stay mindful of three powerful ideas during their three years here at Birchwood Middle School. The ability to live these ideas leads to much success.
· Be Ready: Begin practicing the habits that will make you best equipped to gain the most from your learning environment. Arrive to school and to each class on time. Work on a plan for organizing your materials. Do your best to be well-rested.
· Be Respectful: Our community is built from the way that we treat each other. Demonstrate respect through positive interactions with fellow students, teachers and staff members. Practice listening to different points of view.
· Be Responsible: You feel empowered when you take actions to improve your school experience. If you are unsure of something, ask questions and advocate for yourself. Use the daily assignment book and other tools to keep track of your assignments. If you do hit an obstacle, teachers and staff members will support you.
We are excited and honored to join the Birchwood family for what we know will be an amazing school year. Those who know us know that we truly have an open door policy, and we welcome your questions, concerns, and input at any time.
Proud to be a Bobcat,
Once again, welcome to a new school year. We look forward to your arrival.
Proud to be a Bobcats,
Mrs. Goho, Principal
Mr. Gilmore, Assistant Principal