North Providence Special Education
Local Advisory Committee
The mission of the N. Providence Special Education Local Advisory Committee is to:
- Improve communication among parents, staff, administrators, schools and School Committee on special education needs through the promotion of a team concept.
- Advocate for partnerships with parents of students with disabilities to ensure that they receive the entitlements provided to them under state and federal laws.
- Inform the community of North Providence through the North Providence School Committee about current special education services, meeting needs, future plans, state and federal funding applications, and the evaluation and monitoring of outcomes of special education programs.
- Encourage a greater understanding, acceptance, compassion, and inclusion of children with special education.
NPSELAC Leadership Team
Donna Alqassar - Chair
Gina Falco - Recording Secretary
Michael Casey – Treasurer
Christopher B. Jones – Director of Special Education
Please come join us at our next meeting!
Each NPSELAC meeting will include a speaker and/or presentation on a topic related to special education. We are always striving to meet the needs of parents, students, and faculty so please feel free to contact us with any concerns or suggestions.
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Wednesday, January 9, 2019
Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Meetings start at 6:30 pm and are held in the Birchwood Middle School’s Library.
The NPSELAC is currently seeking nominations for educators, teacher assistants, and therapists who have provided outstanding services for Special Education students, especially in the area of inclusion. Inclusion is students with special education needs spending most or all of their time with non-disabled students. The goal of this recognition program is to increase awareness and recognize those people who are providing best practices in inclusive education.
Basis for a Nomination
A person who has provided outstanding services to advance the success of students with special needs. Some criteria suggestions:
- Peer Helping Strategies
- Social Skills Development
- Management of Behavior
- Differentiated Instruction
- Classroom Organization
- Promoting Parent Involvement
Submit a Nomination
In 250 words or less, please state your reasons that support your nomination. Please include the following:
Name of Person being nominated
Your Phone Number
Please email your nomination for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org